Thursday, August 30, 2012

Daytonian in Manhattan

Corner of the Silk Exchange Building in New York via Daytonian in Manhattan
Maggie Koerth-Baker at boingboing recently posted about the unfinished sculptures that have sat for over 100 years as blocks on the Metropolitan Museum of Art's front cornice, which is an interesting story. That led me, via her link, to the great discussion of this at the blog Daytonian in Manhattan, and that ...
well, that led me to perusing that blog. Which led me to discover, somehow previously having overlooked it, that Daytonian in Manhattan has one great, very detailed and well researched, post after another on New York City architecture and its history. The emphasis is on history and thus the architecture seems to be predominantly (if not entirely) Beaux-Arts, Victorian, Federalist, and Revivalist, i.e. not the modern architecture dominating some of the skyline. Still, I am sure I'll be revisiting this site a fair amount.

No comments: