Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Art of Matt Mahurin

At Beautiful Decay yesterday I noticed a post on the art of Matt Mahurin which said:
That word, “more”, comes to mind a lot when going through Mahurin’s work. He just seems to be doing everything at once. And he does it so well. I’m always astounded when I come across a multidisciplinary artist making work in each of his or her chosen platforms that’s just as good, if not better than that of artists who choose to focus in only one area of practice. I mean it’s just not fair.
I recognized a couple of images, including a still from the music video for Hell Broke Luce that I posted to earlier, but I'd never put it all together.
So, I'm thinking "no way," this would be sort of like discovering that the idiot trilateral commission conspiracy nuts are right1 and the world's gold supply is secretly being hoarded by the New World Order to prepare for alien control, or, but ... way. OMG, or some sort of crap like that.

Mahurin's work is really fantastic. It's sort of hard to find a representative image, though his style is usually unmistakable. Running from illustration, photography, video, design, mastery of painting, Photoshop, Illustrator; his film work shows him taking roles as director, cinematographer, editor, and sound man; he seems to have an uncanny to capture the full emotional sense of things in an image. And, apparently he has a sort of how-to book/website coming out -- The Imagemaker's Handbook -- on the whole deal.2 Anyway, enough. His site is worth a visit.
_____________________________
1  No, they're not really right. They're nuts.
2  No, I am not a paid shill.

No comments: